Top 3 Most Outstanding New / Current Release Wines of the Year
- Harlan Estate 2013 Proprietary Red (mostly Cabernet Sauvignon)
- Abreu 2013 Thorevilos Vineyard Proprietary Red (mostly Cabernet Sauvignon with a lot of Cabernet Franc in it)
- Bevan Cellars 2014 Tench Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
Top 3 Greatest Value Wines of the Year
All of the following wines are under $20 a bottle and represent fabulous bargains:
- Olemo 2014 Chardonnay (Sonoma)
- Stackhouse 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa)
- Jorge Ordonez & Co. Botani 2015 Moscatel Old Vines (Malaga, Spain)
Top 3 Greatest Wine Drinking Experiences
- Beaulieu 1968 Georges de Latour Private Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon
- Charles Krug 1959
- Diamond Creek 1976 Volcanic Hill
Best Dinner of the Year
In this case, there was a tie for three fabulous meals:
- Shuko: For the extraordinary cuisine of Nick Kim and Jimmy Lau. (47 East 12th Street, New York)
- Magdalena: For the marvelous creativity and brilliance of Chef Mark Levy. (In the boutique Ivy Hotel in Baltimore, Maryland)
- ...and of course, Charleston: For the magnificent cuisine of Baltimore’s culinary matriarch, Cindy Wolf. (Baltimore, Maryland)
Best Vertical / Retrospective Tasting of the Year
- A tasting of all of the Sine Qua Non Grenaches from Elaine and Manfred Krankl, from the 2000 Incognito to the 2012 Rattrapante.
Top 3 Best 'Get-a-Life Outside of Wine' Things of the Year
- Visiting Niagara Falls and taking the Maid of the Mist boat tour nearly under the falls.
- Having the owners of the 21 Club in New York ask for Wine Advocate paraphernalia to hang from the ceiling in their iconic restaurant.
- Flying in a private Bombardier Challenger from Napa Valley to Baltimore.
More articles from this author
Robert Parker Tastes Joseph Phelps Insignia (Videos)
From Wine Journal
During his August visit to Napa Valley for his forthcoming Napa Report in Issue 227 of the Wine Advocate, Robert Parker tasted the recently released 2013 Joseph Phelps Insignia. Shared here is a video produced by the winery, which includes some of Robert Parker's comments. Also featured are videos of Parker's visit to the winery in 2013 to taste every vintage ever made of Insignia: 1974-2012.
38th TWA Anniversary Addition POST SCRIPT: Since 2003 and the 25th Anniversary
From Wine Journal
Since we launched it in 2001, The Wine Advocate site largely remained unchanged in its early beginnings and is currently undergoing its first massive modification, revision and facelift. Although robertparker.com sits behind a paywall, there is no doubt that the quantity of free wine information on the Internet presented an enormous opportunity for amateurs and serious wine enthusiasts to share their opinions and thoughts about wine. In short, it was a wine information bonanza, and totally free.